HoWdY Sugar Pies! Boy oh boy have I been havin’ fun! A few weeks ago I met up with my darlin’ friend Kathie Truitt from Hillbilly Debutante. She’s been on the road promoting her new book The Hillbilly Debutante Cafe! I got my copy and plan to read it this summer out on my front porch rockin’ chair with a tall, ice cold glass of sweet tea! Kathie was born and raised in Missouri and her new book is based on her charming little hometown of El Dorado Springs. It’s always so much fun to meet up with this sassy-boot-scootin’- gal-pal O’ mine!
I also spent a day at one of my favorite places Silver Dollar City right here in my Hometown, Branson, Missouri! While I was there this adorable couple was getting married in the old log Wilderness Church. Don’t you just love their Old West wedding clothes? LOVE! The best part about that day was meeting one of my Sugar Pie’s, Amie! I was sitting on a bench relaxing with my hubby while my daughter Summer was riding a roller-coaster with her friend and Amie, along with her sweet family, were walking by and she recognized me! (Hi Amie!) It was a blessing to meet her and her darling family!
Well, I don’t know about you but I am so ready for summer!
Fresh air, sunshine, and warm breezes!
I’m ready to smell the aroma of Barbecue in the air…
Ready to do some gardening…picking my sweet home-grown,
sun-warmed cherry tomatoes from the vine…
Photo credit: Better Homes and Gardens
I’m ready to put my vintage tablecloths to use outside on my deck to enjoy a summer snack…
Speaking of a “summer snack” … a bowl of fresh strawberries with my favorite fruit dip is pure bliss!
It tastes like cheesecake!
The best part (besides tasting so scrumptious) is that it’s soooooooo easy to make! Just two ingredients!!
Just whip together with an electric mixer: 1 jar of Marshmallow Creme and 1 tub (12 oz.) of Cream Cheese!
That’s it! Keep it chilled until ready to serve.
(You can also rest your serving bowl inside a larger bowl filled with ice to keep it cold while serving it.)
Photo Credit: Better Homes and Gardens
I’m also ready to stock my cupboard with summer’s bounty…
(now is a good time to start gathering the supplies and recipes for canning your favorite jam!)
I’m ready to watch my grandbabies (Kade and Johnny) play in their little kiddie pool, splashing and giggling!
(Kade is 10 months and Johnny just turned two! I bought them matching swimsuits! Oh honey’s!)
How about you? Are you getting ready perhaps for an old fashioned family reunion this summer?
Or how about a camping trip to your favorite State Park? This is my honey’s Grandma and Grandpa vacationing in the beautiful High Sierra’s, just above the old west town of Bishop, California. Love their yellow and white vintage trailer!
Yes! I’m ready to celebrate the good ol’ Summertime!
Hey! For all of my Sugar Pie New-bees who have been asking about my Summer e-book
(titled Watermelon And Fireflies)
I’m offering it again for a limited time at half price!
My E-book, Watermelon & Fireflies, is a sun-drenched, farm fresh, sweet-as-corn-on-the-cob adventure to the good ol’ summertime! It’s jam-packed with a bucket-full of fun ideas! Although there are recipes it’s way more than a cookbook! Each page is decorated in full color with vintage images, photos, charming quotes and of course 51 farm fresh ideas including family fun tips, recipes, decorating ideas, encouragement for homemakers and so much more!
Darlins’, ”Watermelon & Fireflies” is just drippin’ with sweet southern nostalgia like honey from a honeycomb! Here is just a sampling of the 50 pages of pure, all-American nostalgia! If you don’t have it yet, I can’t wait for you to see all of the ideas I’ve gathered to bless your heart! Here are just a few of the idea titles…(there are 51 ideas!);
- breakfast in a bucket
- rise and shine!
- come and get it!
- sunshine fresh
- diner pie
- meet me at the fair!
- gathering joy!
- farm-girl treasure hunt
- dreamy strawberry butter
- jingle bells in july
- fresh farm style
- have a summer pie party
- golden moments
- yankee doodle macaroni salad
- sweet wonderful you!
- have a cow! (moo!)
- fresh as a daisy
- a splashing good time!
- going on a picnic!
Plus so many more! I’ve even included my recipe for Oh My Stars! Fresh Peach Pie…it’s my favorite pie EV-AH and everyones favorite! When you taste it you’ll squeal “OH MY STARS!” Linda said… “I can’t imagine a better way to spend a Summer day than to relax in a cooling afternoon breeze with an iced cold glass of sweet tea, a jar of yummy ”Farm Wife Banana Pudding” and Ruthann’s new e-bookWatermelon and Fireflies. Jam-packed with the best that Sugar Pie Farmhouse has to offer, it’s a joy to read and sparks the imagination quicker than fireflies at sunset. It is charming, homey and conveys in the sweetest possible terms Ruthann’s love for home and family and it will inspire you to make the most of this summer with your family. It’s at the top of my summer reading list.” Linda Lee Sister-in-Law to sweet Ruthann Marla Said… “What an incredibly delightful read! From the beautifully decorated pages to the precious stories and funny anecdotes, Watermelon and Firefliesmakes your heart sing and reminds you of all of the beauty of sweet summertime. Aunt Ruthie shares so many of her wonderful and creative ideas that inspire one to not let the season go by without “making a memory.” I’m excited to purchase this southern jewel for each of my grandmas, aunts, mom and sister and look forward to taking a little walk down memory lane with the women who were such an integral part of the summers of my childhood. Thank you Ruthann for sharing your amazing heart with your Sugar Pie Sistas! Marla Robison (Editor) Your Kindred Sista Also included are 14 of my Sugar Pie Sisters Summertime ideas and sweet memories of summer’s past. When I read these I could almost feel the warm summer breeze flow across my face and taste the fresh blueberry pie! And I could almost hear Grandma hummin’ an old hymn as she hung her linens out on the line…the wind snappin’ the sheets…and the bees a-buzzin’. I think you’ll find that Watermelon & Fireflies will remind you of an old fashioned country church picnic. The background graphics resemble homey kitchen tablecloths and the recipes are like the dishes women-folk of yesteryear would proudly set on the long tables, pot-luck style under the breezy shade of an old oak tree. The activities and ideas are family-friendly, easy on the pocket-book, and are sure to create many heartwarming memories and traditions. Since this is an E-book, you can download it immediately to read it on your computer. If you’re interested in printing the E-Book, I highly recommend going down to your local Staples, Office Depot or UPS store and have them print the PDF document for you. When I first released this e-book, there were a few gals who experienced issues with printing. The primary reason for this is the size of the PDF file (there’s just so much fun stuff!). Some computers and printers just can’t process such large files, so you may run into printing errors. Of course you can just read it online!
You can put your copy of “Watermelon and Fireflies” in a binder or bind it like I did; After printing it out on quality Premium paper, I put the pages inside plastic Sheet Protectors and then tied them together with 3 strips of wide gingham ribbon. If you cut the ribbon at a slant it’s easy to thread it through each hole and tie a double knot to secure it Tied together with ribbons adds to the vintage, down-on-the-farm look.
I also slipped a sheet of posterboard behind the front and back cover to give it a firmer, hardback feel.
So for a limited time only, I’m offering Watermelon & Fireflies for $9.95… a 50% discount from the original price. This discount will be available during the summer months and will expire on August 15, 2012. To get your copy and to receive the 50% discount click here or click the giant pink button below. Once you’ve purchased the E-Book, you’ll receive an email with all the download instructions. Just so there’s no confusion, I want all my sisters to know that this is a PDF document that you can download to your computer. This is NOT a printed book that you’ll be receiving by mail. Due to the fact that this is a digital download, I won’t be able to accept any refunds. If you have any questions about your download you can contact my son Dusty at (email@example.com). Please know that he has a full time job, a wife and baby at home so it may take a few days for him to get back to you. He helps me with my computer stuff out of the goodness of his heart when he has a few moments to spare!
So Sugar Pies, pour a tall glass of something ice-cold and yummy to drink. Relax and settle yourself into a comfy spot as you embark on this armchair adventure filled with delightful vintage charm and old fashioned fun!
Little Aunt Ruthie age 5 at Disneyland!
Well Sugar Pies, I’m headin’ to the Old West in a few days for a few weeks. I hope to do a blog post from there, but until then Plan now to make your summer the sweetest juiciest best!
As always I pray that God will bless your darlin’ hearts!
P.S. I’ve been asked by so many of you adorable gals if I plan on doing more e-books for the other seasons…the answer is YES! Slowly but surely I’m working on some new ideas for ya!
Howdy darlin’ I’m so thrilled that you stopped by Sugar Pie Farmhouse!! It’s just warms my heart to know that you value the home and family as much as I do! Just the fact that you’re here tells me that you want to keep your happy-home fires burnin’!
Our job as homemakers is so very important, so it’s imperative that we take good care of ourselves! The Bible says that “A cheerful disposition (joy) is good for your health, doom and gloom leave you bone tired.” (Prov.17:22). It’s hard to feel joyful if we don’t get a good night sleep, so let’s create a place for sweet dreams…a comfy cocoon to sink into at the end of a long busy day. When joy-bells are ringing in our heart we feel so much better and can accomplish so much more! A happy mama makes a happier home! I have compiled a simple list of ideas to help you ring in some joy and make your bedroom a peaceful place of sweet dreams. But first I want to show you how I recently freshened-up my bedroom for sweeter dreams…
For a while now I’ve wanted to change things up a bit in my bedroom but it wasn’t in my budget at the moment to spend a lot of money doing so. So I decided to use what I had and go with the old sayin’ that some cute Mama thought up …”Make do darlin’, make do!” The photo above is what I came up with.
This is what my bedroom used to look like. When I first moved into my home I was going with more of a cabin-y feel, now I’m going with more of a fresh light and airy look.
A couple Christmas’s ago I used the DREAM garland in my living room above my mantle…As I was trying to think about what to put above my bed once I took the red flowers down, I remembered I had this.
Since the color of my walls was similar to the color of the glittered letters I decided to get some large art paper from Michaels and cut a flag shape to put behind the letters to make them pop. (My wall color is Burnt Almond / Behr Paint/ Home Depot–it’s sort of the color of a brown paper bag). You can buy large letters from the craft store and glitter them yourself! I think the letters GOOD NITE would be cute!
With my glue gun I attached the letters to the paper. I also had some paper flowers and ribbons to adorn the ends of the banner.
With the warm days of Summer coming I didn’t want a heavy quilt on the bed along with my down comforter so I just took a flat white sheet, folded it, tied a knot on the corner and let it drape over half of the bed. It adds that pop of fresh white that I love and breaks up all of the wheat colors that I have going on. I also changed my lamps to white ones that I already had. The shades are new, I got them at Target or Tar-jey if you want to be fancy!
An easy knot in the corner of the white sheet adds a little country detail.
I grabbed this vintage Feed Sack pillow from my family room to add to my farmhouse-y look. A great and cheap tip for giving a room a new look is to go shopping in the rooms of your own home! Think about what you already have and how you can use it in a different way.
This vintage mirror used to be black so I gave it a fresh coat of milk-white (I always have a can of white paint on hand…I just never know when I may need to paint more things white!). I tied a knot bow around the galvanized buckets with a torn strip of muslin and in between the Topiaries sit three creamy plates that I found in my kitchen.
With the exception of two new lamp shades, I used what I had to give my bedroom a fresh new look.
Now as promised darlin’ here are a few ideas to encourage “sweet dreams” when it’s time to go night-night!
1. Clear out any clutter that is piling up in your bedroom: ..laundry…magazines (I’m talking to myself here! I just gave away a huge box of my favorite magazines!)..books…papers…mail…kid’s toys…shoes…ironing board…etc. Clutter drains our joy and steals our peace of mind, but a room that’s clean and fresh-as-a-daisy will bring that joy right back! Dust and polish the newly cleared surfaces, then vacuum the floors!
2. Don’t you just love getting into bed when you’ve just changed the sheets? Change your sheets today, tonight you will be so glad you did!
3. You can add sweetness to your bed linens by ever-so-lightly rubbing a scented dryer sheet or slightly misting some cologne between the sheets.
4. If you have white lampshades try pink light bulbs for a romantic rosy glow! They’re getting harder to find, click here to see them.
5. I keep some yummy smelling lotion in a drawer on my beside table and I smooth some on my neck and hands when I get into bed. I love smelling good for my hubby and my daughter when I tuck her into bed. When my older kids were little I had some vanilla hand cream that I would put on at night and my kids loved it, they said I smelled like sugar cookies…I love that they have that memory now.
6. In the early evening hours, turn down your bed to get it ready to sink in to (like they do at hotels) and put a glass of ice-water on your night stand.
7. Take a warm bath or hot shower before bed to unwind and relax your muscles. This is a great time for some aroma-therapy…I really enjoy Philosophy’s Vanilla Birthday Cake Shower Gel/ Bubble Bath!
8. Set out your daily planner notebook, spiral pad, calendar or cell phone planner on your night table so that once you’re in bed you can make a list of the things you have to do the next day. Your mind will sleep better if everything is written down and you’ll have a head start on what to do the next day…or else you might wake up in the middle of the night with a sinking feeling that you’re forgetting an important appointment or event. (been there!)
Image from The Graphics Fairy
9. Fresh flowers in a tiny vase or teacup on your bedside table is also a happy and endearing touch…especially if they were picked by someone you love.
10. If there is a chill in the air, I tuck a heating pad between the sheets to warm up my spot. I’m telling ya, it is so soothing!
11. Some nights I make a cup of hot milk with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (no caffeine at bedtime!)…my Italian Grandma used to make if for me. It’s very comforting. The experts say that milk has tryptophan, an amino acid that your body converts to melatonin and serotonin–both of which are thought to induce sleep. (Of course if you are allergic to milk…try a hot cup of decaf tea!)
12. Pray. Cast all of your cares upon the Lord. Leave your worries in His mighty hands. Remind yourself that He is in control.
13. Never go to bed angry…forgive, say you’re sorry, hug and kiss.
14. Read a passage from the Psalms (I love Psalm 139 and Psalm 103) Think good thoughts before you turn the lights off.
15. Go to sleep counting your blessings and thanking the Lord.
I sure hope these ideas help ya take care of sweet adorable YOU!
Every night I like to read a little to fill my mind with happy thoughts before going to sleep. Would you like to know what books are on my bedside table this week?
1. The Bible…The Amplified Version, I love this version because it spells out the meaning (original Greek and Hebrew meaning) of the scripture in parenthesis, making it easier to understand. I have several of my favorite scriptures highlighted so I can find them easy! Here is a sample from Proverbs 24:3 & 4 –“Through skillful and godly Wisdom is a house (a life, a home, a family) built, and by understanding it is established (on a sound and good foundation) and by knowledge shall its chambers (of every area) be filled with all precious and pleasant riches. “ (Notice the meaningful words in the parenthesis to help us gain insight into what the scripture means–)
2. The Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook This is a delightful gathering of true Southern Recipes! But what makes this book even more special are the darlin’ hometown cafe notes throughout the book from Fannie Flagg and excerpts from her book Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe! Here’s little sample: “Evelyn opened her purse and gave Mrs. Threadgoode one of the pimiento-cheese sandwiches she had wrapped in wax paper, and brought from home. Mrs. Threadgoode was delighted. ‘Oh, thank you! I love a good pimiento-cheese sandwich. In fact, I love anything to eat that’s a pretty color. Don’t you think pimiento-cheese has a pretty color? It’s so cheery. I like a red pepper, too, and I used to love candied apples, but I can’t eat them anymore because of my teeth. Come to think of it, I like anything that’s red.’ “ Ain’t that so cute! I just love vintage conversations between ladies!
3. My Antonia by Willa Cather. This book is about a courageous and inspiring woman, Antonia, and her life on the Nebraska Prairie in 1800’s. I’m just getting started and I have to say it’s a perfect farm-girl read! Here’s a sample; “After supper Mrs. Steavens and I went upstairs to the old sitting room, while her grave, silent brother remained in the basement to read his farm papers. All the windows were open. The white summer moon was shining outside, the windmill was pumping lazily in the light breeze. My hostess put the lamp on a stand in the corner, and turned it low because of the heat. She sat down in her favorite rocking-chair and settled a little stool comfortably under her tired feet. “I’m troubled with calluses Jim; getting old,” she sighed cheerfully. She crossed her hands in her lap and sat as if she were at a meeting of some kind. ’Now, it’s about the dear Antonia you want to know? well, you’ve come to the right person. I’ve watched her like she’d been my own daughter…”
4. Romantic Prairie Style by Fifi O’ Neill: This book is jam-packed with beautiful color photos of Farmhouse decorating ideas! The images are comforting, homey, simple, and rustic. The pages are filled with “make-do with what you have” kind of ideas. LOVE!
Well, darlin’ I sure hope you have sweet dreams tonight! But before you go I just wanted to let you know that I am now offering advertising space here on my web site! Up at the top right hand corner under that cute little gal that says “Follow Me” you will see the advertising spots. You can also click here to get to the information page. I have NEW information there!
Lynsey from The Wonderland Cottage is one of my advertisers. She makes the most adorable pedestal picture frames and chalkboards! They come in a variety of colors and you can use it as a picture frame or put her chalkboard insert in. I love the idea of leaving little love notes for your family or writing menu titles like “Hot spiced Cider” in the fall next to the crock pot or “Ice Cold Lemonade” next to the cooler in the summertime! Click here to go to her Etsy shop! If you stop by, tell her Aunt Ruthie sent ya!
My other advertiser is Aprons By Amy! Amy has a huge variety of all kinds of aprons…farm aprons…frilly aprons…retro aprons…and more! You know me and aprons! Tying on an apron, lighting a scented candle, and playin’ some toe tappin’ music gets me motivated to tidy up my home! I love this one pictured…it’s her Vintage Blueberry Half Apron! Love the name! It’s fresh, fancy and perfect for summertime! Makes me want to bake a Blueberry Pie! Click here to go to her Web Site! If you decide to pamper yourself with one of Amy’s cute aprons, tell her “howdy” for me!
Well, darlin’ as always I LOVE hearing from you! Your sweet words encourage me so very much!
Please do leave a comment to say hello!
God Bless your darlin’ heart!