Howdy Sugar Pie! I’m so happy you’re here! How is your fall season going? I hope you’re breathing in the delight and sweetness of this golden time of year…it’s so good for you, ya know! Our lives are so busy, filled with challenges and struggles. That’s why it’s so it’s important to stop and “smell those roses” or watch the leaves fall, or meet a friend for coffee . Recently our family spent the afternoon at the pumpkin patch. This is one tradition that we have been doing since my kids were babies.
I do believe that Fun Family Traditions is the glue that holds families together (among a few other things of course!). Spending time together makes life meaningful and so much richer. The thing is, we have to be intentional about this because it’s so easy to say “I’m too tired”, or “I need to clean out the garage this weekend”. Sometimes we procrastinate by saying “maybe next week”. Only, next week may not work out. Someone once said “Opportunities are not postponed, they are lost forever.” So even though we have an overflowing to-do list, we must make time for some good old fashioned family fun!
As the holidays approach, be thinking about one or two things you can do with your family that will make joy-bells ring in their hearts! Family traditions can be things you do daily, weekly, and seasonally. Daily traditions could be something as simple as bedtime prayers with the family or having supper together. Weekly traditions could include a family fun night with pizza or pancakes on Saturday mornings. Seasonally, your traditions might include picking out a Christmas tree together or a taking a drive to see Christmas lights then stopping to get hot chocolate. In the spring an Easter Egg Hunt or planting a garden. In the summer, a trip to the beach or gathering together for a family reunion . And in the fall, a drive in the country to see the fall color, baking a pumpkin pie or a taking a trip to the apple orchard. The wonderful thing is you get to decide what it is that you want to plan in order to create those fun moments with your family.
Here are 5 Reasons Why Fun Family Traditions are so Important:
1. Fun Family Traditions give our family a sense of belonging, security and togetherness: We all need to feel valued, wanted and loved. What better way to communicate those heartfelt feelings to our family than to spend time together! Fun Family Traditions can provide warmth, compassion and closeness, an important key to becoming a happy family.
2. They give our children a better and happier childhood: Studies show that children who experience even the simple tradition of eating together as a family are less likely to smoke, drink, get into drugs and other damaging behaviors. Additionally, 40% of children who eat supper together with the family do better in school. Kids thrive as a result of happy family traditions. Creating a family life that feels safe and provides stability is crucial to the well-being of our children. It’s a comfort for our kids to know that they can count on those special things that we do together because “that’s our family tradition”.
3. They bring anticipation and joy by giving us something to look forward to: Fun Family Traditions teach our children the value of enjoying the simple pleasures of having fun together, whether it’s going for a hike in the woods, enjoying an ice-cream cone together or collecting seashells at the beach. Life is filled with challenges and struggles so having happy traditions to look forward to adds the much needed ingredient of joy into our lives.
4. They help to preserve the family by building strong relationships and valuable bonding moments: It’s not just the activity that we choose to do with our family that’s important it’s also the connection and heartfelt communication that happens. It’s an investment of time and love that will affect future generations.
5. They create warm memories that will last a lifetime: Commemorating family moments like birthdays, holidays, vacations, and everyday joys will not only make our family members feel cherished but it will be a huge part of our family’s life story…a story that will remembered with warmth and laughter…a story that will gleam as a treasure in our hearts. A story that will provide joy and comfort for our whole life. One way to keep those memories fresh is to take lots of photos and videos!
One last thought…in finding the right Fun Family Traditions for your family, keep in mind that the key word is “fun”.
Well, one of my family’s fall traditions is going to the pumpkin patch. We headed out to McKenna’s Farm here in Branson, Missouri, on a chilly and misty day. It had just rained so everything was saturated with the vivid hues of fall. This snug cabin pictured above sits beautifully behind the cornfield. It looked like it belonged to The Three Bears! Mama Bear’s hot porridge would have been welcomed on a cold, damp, day like this!
Here I am with my beloved hubby and my four lovable grand-littles! I’m holding Zealand, Grandpa’s holding Polly June, Johnny’s making a silly face and Kade is wearing his yellow rain boots! So much fun!
“Tradition gives us a sense of solidarity and roots,
a knowing there are some things one can count on.”
My daughter Ashley’s family…hubby Glen, Polly June and Johnny!
My son Dusty’s family…Kimmy, Zealand and Kade!
And…my darlin’ Summer Rose!
Zealand found himself a great big pumpkin!
She’s wearing the same sweater that her mama wore when she was a youngin’!
This year McKenna’s farm had this huge air trampoline on top of the ground! The grown-ups had a blast but the little ones had to warm up to the idea.
Our driver had his Duck Dynasty goin’ on!
Since it was just us on the hayride, we had our own sing-along…”Old MacDonald Had a Farm…E-I-E-I-O!”
“What will your children remember?
Moments spent listening, talking, playing, and sharing together
may be the most important times of all.” -Gloria Gaither
“Happy times and bygone days are never lost…In truth,
they grow more wonderful within the heart that keeps them.”
Kimmy, Zealand and I.
Got me boots on!
“When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses.” -Joyce Brothers
Hey! Who’s throwin’ hay? Well, it is a hayride!
“If we savor the good times in youth,
we can enjoy them again in old age.” -Janette Oke
My kids…posing Hillbilly-style…looks like this could be on the cover of a bluegrass music album. Ha!
I guess goofy is normal.
My daughter Summer is outstanding in her field! ;D
Fun in the corn-box!
“You have to look for the joy.
Look for the light of God that is hitting your life,
and you will find sparkles you didn’t know were there.”
I love that girl!
Now that’s a pig-pen!
Did your mama ever tell you to go clean your bedroom because it looked like a pigpen? I don’t think my room ever looked that bad! LOL!
Little Kade climbing rocks with his yellow boots!
Oh how thankful I am to the Lord for His Grace.
“No nation can be destroyed while it possesses a good home life.” -Josiah Gilbert Holland
It was good to get out of the damp, chilly air and into the cozy warmth of home!
My sweet grand-little’s favorite place to play is in Grammy’s pantry!
These are memories and traditions in the making!
There’s no place like home…except Grammy and Grandpa’s!
Guess what?!! I’m having a give-away! I’m celebrating the birthday of my blog! It’s 7 years old! Wow! My baby girl Summer Rose was in 4th grade when I started now she’s in 10th! Time flies when you’re having fun!! Well, darlin’s I think this give-away is a doozy! They’re three of my favorite things!
Here are the three prizes for one happy gal!
1. A fabulous new cookbook: Farm Fresh Recipes from the Missing Goat Farm! Oh! My! I love this cookbook! It’s filled with full color photos of wonderful and yummy recipes for soups, breads, pies, snacks and preserves. The author, Heather Cameron always dreamed of moving to a farm, then one day she and her family left the city and made their farm dreams come true! Heather has so delightfully sprinkled her story into the pages of this charming collection of farm-to-table recipes.
2. The cutest wooden piggy cutting board–it’s brand new but made to look vintage. AND it’s made in America! I have this same one and I love it! It just makes chopping herbs, fruits and veggies so much more fun!
3. A gorgeous set of measuring spoons from Anthropology! They look like vintage teaspoons! I just know these would help you make a pretty pie!
So here’s the thing…since I’ve been blogging for 7 years and plan to continue, (because I love blogging and you!) I want to make sure that what I am blogging about brings you value and is worthy of your time. So I need your help in answering a couple questions. Please know that your input is so very valuable to me! Once you answer these questions in the comment section below, I will pick one name at random to win the give-away prize! The deadline will be November 20th. I will announce the winner in my next blog post.
Here are my questions:
1. What attracts you to Sugar Pie Farmhouse and keeps you coming back?
2. What would you like to see more of on my blog?
- More encouragement for homemakers?
- More decorating Ideas?
- More ideas on how to incorporate vintage (back-in-the-day) homemaking into our lives?
- More Recipes?
- How to create a happy home?
- Chats to inspire you to create the life you want to live?
- Or, what topic would you love for me to write about?
That’s it! Just tell me what you like and what you would like more of! Please don’t feel like you need to answer at great length (unless you want to!) Short and sweet is just fine!
I do want to thank you dear Sugar Pies for purchasing my videos! I hope you enjoyed them (I’d love to know!). If you haven’t gotten yours yet there’s still time! I know many of you are probably in Christmas mode by now, but the ideas in the Let’s Decorate for Fall Y’all videos are perfect for Thanksgiving and that’s 3 weeks away! You can click here to check it out or go to the General Store above.
And of course the recipes in Sweet Fall Fixin’s are also perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas for that matter!
Thank you so much Sugar Pie for stopping by!
Please enter the give-away by answering those questions above!
I’m sending you lots of sugar-hugs and love!